Assistant Brewer and Cellarperson
Do you have a passionate for being involved in the process of making great beer? Then this is the department for you.
Job Title: Assistant Brewer / Cellarperson
Reports to: Head Brewer
About Beards Brewery:
Beards Brewery is located in the scenic gaslight district of downtown Petoskey, where we operate our small 1bbl (31 gallon) pilot brew house and have a tap room/restaurant open to the public. We additionally have a 15bbl (465 gallon) production brew house in Charlevoix where we keg and can our beers to meet our growing demand at our pub location as well as distribution to bars and restaurants within Michigan.
We’re looking for the right person to help us make exceptional beer and to be involved in the entire brewing process, from grain to glass. The right candidate for this position will take pride their work, take ownership of the process, and will appreciate everything that goes into making high quality beer, as well as the beer itself. Monitoring fermentation, transferring beer between fermentation and conditioning vessels, packaging finished beer, and associated cleaning will make up a large part of regular responsibilities. As the position develops, there will be brewing and recipe formulation responsibilities on our 1bbl pilot brewhouse as well. Safety, sanitation, and adherence to SOPs will be the primary objectives of the Assistant Brewer/Cellarperson so great attention to detail is an absolute must!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Dry hopping and other cellar additions, yeast harvesting, transferring beer, kegging beer, CIP cycles, keg washing, and general cleaning/organizing.
● Recipe formulation and wort production on 1bbl brewhouse
● Ensure that all work is completed according to Beards Brewery’s SOPs and safety standards.
● Maintain accurate notes of cellar activities.
● Notify Head Brewer of any inventory deficiencies.
● Perform quality control checks of beer throughout the fermentation process,
clarification/carbonation process, and when beer is kegged for service at the pub.
● This position is expected to be 35-40 hrs/week with possible overtime as needed.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS:
● Strong cleaning and sanitizing skills.
● Strong note taking and accurate documentation skills
● Experience with Google suite (or Excel) and/or Trello prefered, but not required
● Ability to safely handle and work with hot caustic and acid cleaning chemicals, and pressurized vessels.
● Extreme focus on the task at hand.
● Strong desire to learn.
● Willingness to take direction and adhere to SOPs.
● Strong communication skills.
● Ability to work nights, weekend, and holidays.
● Ability to frequently reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
● Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 75 pounds employing traditional lifting
● Some production brewing or homebrewing experience preferred.
● Complete and utter passion for beer.
Passionate about craft through community.
We are a rapidly growing brewery looking for dedicated people who care about community and craft. We strive to provide approachable craft experiences born from quality beer throughout everything we do. If that sounds like you, and you align with the skills and duties above, please download an application at www.beardsbrewery.com on the contact page, and submit via email with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Download the Beards Brewery Employment Application